SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stern Anchoring Question
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandofish View Post
... Why is this technique never used or talked about? Seems a lot easier, especially for singlehanding, rather than dealing with tackle at the bow.
I've used a variation quite often. It's definitely not revolutionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandofish View Post
I don't think i would have the tearing thru hands problem if i cleat off the rode, then walk the bitter end to the bow, cleat, then release stern cleat right?

I Appreciate your directions, its exactly what i read everywhere. Any other reasons my technique wouldn't work?
The change I would suggest that you make to your plan is to also cleat the anchor rode at the bow before you deploy the anchor from the stern. That way when you uncleat at the stern, you can essentially just release the rode and let the boat spin. Probably best to walk it up a short ways to make certain the boat spins in the right direction.

That said, you need to be very careful when deploying an anchor from the cockpit. You'll need beefy hardware and you'll need to be very careful about making sure no one gets tangled in the anchor rode. If you have much chain on the rode, it can be a bear hauling it all back -- led outboard -- to the cockpit and making sure it doesn't do damage to crew or boat. Not always a simple operation when you are short handed.

We have a stern anchor, stern rode locker, and a stern anchor roller, which makes it comparatively easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 04-16-2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook