SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stern Anchoring Question
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandofish View Post
I don't think i would have the tearing thru hands problem if i cleat off the rode, then walk the bitter end to the bow, cleat, then release stern cleat right?

I Appreciate your directions, its exactly what i read everywhere. Any other reasons my technique wouldn't work?
As long as you account for the length of your boat in the scope, that would technically work better than walking the bitter end forward. I'm trying to imagine the process to do so. First you estimate the depth where you drop the anchor. That should be close if you have a chart and know the tides. Then walk to the bow and tie it off after measuring the correct amount of scope and walk back to cockpit for the stern anchoring procedure. Don't get too close to running out of rode or you won't be able to cleat the remaining.

You could do the stern anchor and only let out the required scope, less the length of the boat, cleat it off at the stern, then go forward to cleat the bitter end, then return to uncleat the stern. This also has the potential of not having put enough scope to set the hook in the first place.

If you have enough rode, there is no harm to releasing the proper amount from the stern to set the anchor, then extending more as the boat swings around to the bow.

However, with all the back and forth, I'm failing to see how this is that much easier. If you have any wind and get the boat to a stop head on, the entire procedure can be done with one trip to the bow and back.

It only gets more complicated in a crowded anchorage if you're single handed. Otherwise, go to the bow, drop the hook and let the boat do whatever it wants. Pretty simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook