SailNet Community - View Single Post - How old is too old II: Design
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhite View Post
design, construction techniques and materials instead, how old is too old? I'm sure there have been breakthroughs in hull and rig design - .
I had to drive a 1969 Mustang for a job for 3 weeks (including some 4 wheel drifts in gravel and some fun acceleration stuff!!! ). Every dude in the place was envious and every guy on the street stared. But was the car good to drive? NO!!! A modern Korean cheep pile of junk is FAR better to drive, and far more enjoyable for the passengers!

You are absolutely so correct that there have been breakthroughs. I think in every fascet of boats and their equipment.

If a boat was designed in 1970 or 1980 it will be a poor boat compared to the hated new production boats flying off the line with ultra modern designs, production engineering and the latest electronics, engines, even to the sinks and water mixing taps.

They are now using carbon fibre as chain plates!! The strongest part of the boat now made of 'plastic'!!!

Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook