SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC Power - microwave problem
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
AC Power - microwave problem

I have a Freedom Charger / inverter connected to my Heart Interface 2000 electrical system on my boat and I have some problems with it supplying ac electric power to my microwave when I am plugged in to shore power. I am NOT referring to any problems with power from the inverter.

I have a microwave installed on board. The microwave was old and was not working on the boat. I removed it and found that it worked just fine when connected ashore. What happen when installed aboard is that it would not turn on when you pressed "start." Once removed, I noticed that there was corrosion at the back so I removed the cover and sanded and painted the cover. Now it would not work at all. Success, huh? However, that is not what I am writing about. It's only provided to provide backdrop.

I bought a new compact microwave and ran a new 12 guage cable to its own 15 amp breaker on the electrical panel. I turned the microwave on and immediately the main breaker (30 amp) on the inverter/charger popped off and then reset itself. I turned off the charger and then turned on the microwave. Success! It ran. OK, the charger and the microwave use too much electricity when used together. I later installed the microwave in the cabinatery and then tried to turn it on. Remembering that I needed to turn the charger off first. Now the darned circuit breaker on the inverter/charger pops off even when I have the charger off. BTW, the micro is a 700 watt unit that runs on a 15 amp circuit.

As I am writing this, I am thinking I should have tried to run it on the inverter but I didn't think of it then. However, I should be able to run it as connected, shouldn't I? Anything I missed? Could I have a problem with the charger/inverter? Any ideas?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook