SailNet Community - View Single Post - Extreme conditions
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 04-18-2011
Boasun

When I worked commercially offshore. There was a couple of times when I stuck my nose out and went straight back to my berth. The name of the game is SAFETY FIRST. The few times that I was caught offshore I either rode it out hanging off a platform with 300 foot line or raced back to the harbor before it caught up to us. Though One Time We were well caught by a fast moving tropical depression because the company man on the platform wanted a safety boat out there, Just in case of the worst senerio.
I rode that one out at anchor with 8:1 on the Anchor Chain with engines running if needed.
Have rode out a hurricane on a ship, the so called prefect storm on a Navy Destroyer. And many other storms that have come and gone... But all of the time of my sea going career the foul weather was only about 5% of the time. Though when you are in it, it does seem much longer.

1600 Ton Master, 2nd Mate Unlimited Tonnage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome