SailNet Community - View Single Post - Had to happen. Duc, overturned Phila PA
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
After trying, and failing, to move to the Schuylkill River, the Duck Boats will return to Delaware River in a couple of days. They are shortening their time in the water, putting a permanent lookout on the pier where they enter, and must have a high speed rescue/tow boat available. All of this is because they will still enter the water right into a busy shipping channel (no way to avoid that on the Philly side of the river), which is a very sub-optimal situation:

I'll have to wait to see what their full route is, but this article says they will stay within 100 feet of shore - which means they'll be right in the shipping channel the whole time. It seems to me it would be much safer to just proceed across the channel as quickly as possible (upon clearance from their lookout), and head down the river outside the channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook