SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mast wiring replacement

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  wayina 
#1 ·
Has someone taken down a I36 1984 mast recently?, I have to replace the wind direction/speed dodad at the top of the mast, I don't want to take the mast down just yet, what i want to know is if the wiring is inserted into a conduit or pipe or whatever, is it feasible to do this whilst mast is in place and if so feed the new wire in from the top or the bottom?
hoping someone can help with this
cheers Wayne

#2 ·
I don't have the I-36, but I have a IF-36. The IF-36 has a pipe for the wiring in the mast, so maybe yours does too. Even if it doesn't I think you could attach a new wire to the old one at the top of the mast, and use the old wire as a messenger to pull the new wire down the mast.

#5 ·
My 1979 IP 40 has a conduit as well, but it seems to be in 2 sections with a break at the Steaming / Deck light fixture. Last week I had to pull a N2K cable through for a new wind instrument and it was easy to do if you take your time and use coduit grease from HD on the first yard or so of the new cable. I used the old Data Marine cable as the lead line.

#9 ·
Well the mast is coming out later in the week for a rebuild, old girl will love it, new wiring, new rigging and a repaint. now i see what is meant by boat dollars,

#11 ·
ha did better than that, took the mast off had it restored and repainted, new wiring, sheaves, standing rigging and halyards, just trying to get some time to put it all back together and put the mast back on and go sailing, soon I hope, mast has been off since december, but we have had floods, and lots of rain here
cheers Wayne

#12 ·
its now mid November, the mast is still off, its been stripped repainted evry nut bolt washer rivet replaced, new rigging all new electrics, just waiting for a suitable time between myself and the rigger to put it back on and then I can go sailing again. what an adventure, my wife and I did most of the work ourselves at David lambournes yard at Hemmant in Queensland AU, We now know the mast inside out, even added 2 mice per conduit so any future issues can be solved easily, found a leak in one of the cabin windows, of course had to destroy the frame getting it open so now have new tinted safety glass windows all round, over the next few weekends I will be fitting the new elec head, then hook up the refrigeration, so all good here
regards Wayne:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.