SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter Vision 36
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011

DaveNDebbie is on a distinguished road
I've heard the critics, and the river sailors at my old marina in Antioch seemed amazed each time I told them about a trip to Monterey Bay and back. "You took YOUR boat?" Yea, why not?
I don't get the thing between coastal and offshore. I mean it's not like you're gonna swim 5 miles to shore, so it may as well be 500. Besides, more boats are lost on the rock than the open ocean.
I had a rainwater leak into the aft cabin that turned out to be the screws that hold down the deck at the helm, covering the steering. She will take enough water though the stern lockers in a heavy following sea to get the bed wet, so I put a bilge pump in the port locker...problem solved.
We left the Delta on Feb 5, arrived in San Diego on Feb 22, And I'm swinging on the hook in Isthmus Cove on Catalina Island as I write this. It's not an easy life, and she isn't a plush boat, but she's better than alot I've seen out here, and there's nothing more rewarding than making landfall after an overnight or longer passage.
Just remember... Don't put any systems on your boat that you can't either fix at sea, or live without.
Luck to ya. Don't dream your life...Live your dream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dave & Cyndi Johnsen
S/V Serenasea
Hunter Vision 32
Antioch, CA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook