SailNet Community - View Single Post - singlehanding without cockpit routed lines
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Singlehand my 26ft Centaur most of the time. Often thought of bringing the main lines back to the cabin top but never got round to it.
Head sail is on a furler so few problems there tho the line has jammed in the drum requireing a trip to the furler on occasion.
All the other boats I have sailed on required a trip to the mast to reef and tie the spare sail down anyway.
I have a tiller pilot that holds the course well and can have the main reefed in a couple of minutes, tho I tend to reef early.
I can also reef with the tiller tied to hold her into the wind just in case the pilot fails again.
Going to the mast is no problem as long as you have good jacklines and are sure of the system you are using.
Practice in good weather is the key. Mine is roller boom reefing which is great on a rough day as the spare sail is wound round the boom as it comes down.
Sail shape isn,t so great after a couple of rolls but its not so crucial on an old cruising tub like mine.
Even with the best sail system I reckon a singlhander has to be ready to go forward when things go wrong, and thats usualy on the bad days.
Safe singlehanded sailing