SailNet Community - View Single Post - I Could Use a Ton of Advice
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011

PAFireSail is on a distinguished road
I Could Use a Ton of Advice

Hi, everyone. I'm looking to purchase my first boat and I want to live aboard. I'm young and single so I figured now is as good a time as any. I think I have the theory behind sailing pretty well covered, I have just never put it into practice and I don't know most of the terminology yet. I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

I want to make sure I get a good vessel that won't leave me stranded somewhere or sinking should I wind up in a storm. I'm looking to spend under $6,000 if at all possible and I think that 23-30 feet would be pretty good. (Please feel free to bring me back to earth if you think I have my head up too far in the clouds. I'm really hard to offend.) I really only need something with minimal storage, sleeping area for 2, a stove would be nice but is not necessary, must have a toilet and a shower would be a HUGE bonus. I'm an electrician by trade so I'm planning on mooring off shore and kayaking into shore every day to go to work. I'm also planning on adding solar panels to the vessel so I don't have to charge the batteries on shore. At some point I'm planning on adding a water maker so I don't have to buy water on shore.

If you need any more information from me, please feel free to ask. If you have any idea what year, make, model, length, etc. I should look for, please give me any suggestions you can. If you know where I can find a boat like this, that's even better. I live on the east coast so I'd prefer if that's where she was. Preferably from Rhode Island to the Carolinas so I don't have to travel too far.

Thanks in advance!

-Kyle
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook