I also found that the mast was leaning forward a bit after making the same repairs
. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who observed this. Thought it was an illusion of the naked eye for the longest time.
I've still got the split backstays, so I just installed a couple of the Schaefer wire blocks over the split stays, connected to a triangle plate, which has the 3rd (lower) point connected to a double block w/becket. Line
through this to a triple block mounted on deck (padeye) running to a rope clutch. The line
was the max size for the clutch, actually acts like a natural brake when load is released - so doesn't 'SNAP' when released.
The backstay tensioner really improved upwind performance in 20+ knots of breeze.
I'd watch the amount of force put into the backstay, due to additional mast bend from the new 'forward lean' coupled with the fact that the spreaders are in-line with upper shrouds. Good luck. ~Joel