SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help with picking a marina
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
HIighly doubtful you will sail to Cape May from Philly, you will motor. You will have to play the tides and there are very few places to pull over and anchor after the C&D canal. May take 2 days from Penns Landing. We make this trip from the canal to cape May every year on our way to New ngland from the Chesapeake and the two places to pull in are Reedy Island about 5 miles south of the canal on the starboard and the Cohannnessay River about 30 miles south of the canal. The Cohanessey is deep and has a tidal flow also. Again play the tides right or you will go nowhere fast.

We always stay at Utsches. They are personal friends of over 30 years ( I lived in Ocean City New Jersey for 20 years) and they are a great family run Marina. Charley and Wayne are great guys. Their shower facilities are top of the line, close to restaurants as well as walking distance town, and the trolley stops in front of the marina.

Canyon Club caters to large fishing powerboats ( Vivkings, Posts etc) and is always overrun with fishing tounements and is not sailboat friendly at all. (we have a few stories about them). SJ Marina is not as unfriendly to sailors but Utsches is far and away the best and more economical choice here.

How tall is your H27 mast (add for VHF antennae). I am sure you could fit under the Cape May Canal bridge and save yourself 2 hours not going around the Cape. The bridge heigt is 55 ft.

I draw 4'8 and have never had a problem there. Many larger sailboats are kept in their marina and large transients frequent there. There is ONLY ONE WAY IN. East opf the Parkway Bridge you hit the Red channel marker you fooow a straight path along the bulkhead about 15-25 yards to the opening of Utches. I suggest you call them when you are at the daymarker and let them guide you in. Once you have done it it is a piece of cake, but the first time is scary.

Are you keeping there there full time. Where do you live? Bucks County? as thats a bitch of a ride from Philly on weekends and your days sailing will be limited by the weather on the ocean or bay?

I would conside Rock Hall on the Chesapeake as an alternative. Longer sailing season too.

I lived in the South Jersey area for 20 years and can help you.Feel free to PM me pnce you reach 10 posts,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook