SailNet Community - View Single Post - Back Creek and Annapolis Zoning
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Here is the notice of hearing.

Apologies for the photo orientation. Busy day.

I have spoken to staff at the board of port wardens and to Flip Walters, Annapolis Harbormaster. I also spoke with Alderman Arnett and to the chair of the Maritime Advisory Board.

Many thanks to 'Frank' at the Dept of Neighborhood and Environmental Programs Office for his time in filling in the background. Also thanks to Dick Franyo at the Boatyard Bar and Grill for helping with phone numbers for Mr. Arnett and Mr. Lomax.

Mears Marina made an application for the no anchoring zone. Watergate Village Marine is supporting the application. The issue is the substantial number of boats that drag down on those two marinas in particular who anchor in the wide spot between Port A and Watergate. I can testify to the fact that there is a lot of dragging. I keep my boat at Watergate and last year alone was out at least three times to tow boats off the pilings at Watergate. I've seen boats drag down to Mears and up into the cove also. I understand the issue from the perspective of the marinas.

The Harbormaster has the authority to establish a no-anchoring zone on his own authority. The City is going out of their way to reach out to the community and sailors by holding a hearing. I'll be there and will report.

I have mixed feelings on the subject. I have had a tough time getting in and out of my marina a number of times due to boats anchored too close (within the existing 75' stand-off requirement). As stated, I have rescued numerous boats that have dragged.

At the same time, one of the characteristics that make Annapolis special is the welcome we provide to visiting boaters. I don't want to lose that. I suspect the downtown businesses don't either. The opportunity to anchor out is part of the charm here.

More as it comes evolves.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 04-25-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: fixed orientation of picture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook