SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel quality
Thread: Fuel quality
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
That wonderful stuff that was a cheap solvent around the shop, ran lawn mowers and pickup trucks is now almost as dear as any other chemical we buy by the gallon. I "store" 20 gallons of gasoline in my boat's tank over the winter. I guess it is 18 gallons of gasoline and 2 gallons of alcohol here in Maine now. A full tank of old gasoline, even using Stabil, is what is waiting for my A-4 in the spring. I purchased a 12 volt fuel pump at the auto supply store ($15.00) and fuel line and fittings that allow me to pump that "old" gas out to put into my "old" 65' Chevy pickup. It takes me a little work to hook things up but it has become part of the spring fit out process. I am replacing filters anyway. The boat is on the hard and wide open. The wires for the pump are outside the boat and connected to the truck's battery. If I am concerned about the condition of the gasoline I can "rinse" the tank with an additional 5 or 10 gallons of gasoline, treated with MEK if necessary, that my "old" 283 Chevy will consume happily. It is gasoline I would buy anyway so it isn't "lost". It lets me start each season with fresh gasoline for the new filters. So far so good. It helps eliminate some concerns about dirty fuel.

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 04-26-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: content
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook