SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's in the "Go-Bag" for Crewing?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75R20 View Post
Since it's you Smack, I'll add a couple of Necessary items......
1. Compass....Plastimo Iris 50 or 100 would be desired....I never go anywhere without one, and a back-up for GPS or on-board units.
2. Bagbalm....The best for chafe...being in a moist enviroment for days on end will result......in chafe.
3. Personal First-aid kit
4. Binoculars...I like 7x50 with a compass. Great for watching sea-life, wild-life, or what you might use them for while on a boat.
Sounds like most everything else has been covered.
Best of Luck
Kary
S/V Mariah
Sweet - thanks 75!

I'm really torn on the GPS/PLB/SPOT thing. I've been looking at some great threads on SA about this - but haven't found a good solution yet.

Bottom line - okay, I should just carry a freakin' $600+ 406 EPIRB on my belt if I REALLY want to be safe. But c'mon. Then the next step down is carrying a $300 PLB.

But what about the Spot Messenger? Or the Standard Horizon HX851? But then you still need a GPS.

Sure wish there was a Swiss Army Knife solution for this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook