SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bristol 32 performance
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011

jb1528 is on a distinguished road
Bristol 32 performance

I sail Puget Sound and recently sold my Catalina 27. I'm not new to sailing, but had been out of it a while and my new wife had never sailed. She loves it and we move on. In the new boat, we wanted to improve things that weren't related to sailing performance, but we want good sailing habits too.

I have had an offer accepted on a Bristol 32 and the sea trials are soon. I've read conflicting reports on the performance of these boats. I know this design is bread to heal, settle in and go given the right conditions. I've read that they go to weather like "a scalded cat" which I assume means fast, and other reviews that they are slow.

Those of you that own one, what is your experience? Is motoring at 6 knots reasonable. Does sailing at 6 knots on the wind at 12-15 apparent happen. Better? Worse? What happens in the real world.

What can I expect? I know sail set, sail condition, genoa size, sea state, point of sail etc etc affects speed.

I love everything about this boat, but have not sailed it yet. People seem to keep them a long time so there must be a reason and I hope that a reasonable amount of performance is part of that reason.

Please chime in. I hope to be one of the Bristol family soon.

Jim

Last edited by jb1528; 04-28-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook