SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3M VHB Bonding Tape
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
I am planning on using it to install my new windows without using bolts in about 3 weeks. I bought 1/8" thick. I plan to to recess it about 1/8" behind the plexiglas all the way around. Then I'll fill the gap to a nice bead with sealant all the way around. That should allow the plexiglas to expand and contract without breaking the seal. I'll let you know in about 5 years if it worked!

Gary H. Lucas
Gary. Perhaps I'm dense but I don't understand what your are describing above. In any case, some friends of ours with a sister-ship to our boat that replaced their fixed port lights with 3M VHB 5962 several months ago just finished a passage from Rodriguez Key to the Dominican Republic through the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos, sailing hard on the wind for almost the entire trip. Except at one approximately 1" long spot where our pal admitted he skimped on primer (between the tape and the side of the coach roof), he had no seepage or leaks on the port lights at all (and he did not use "caulking" or "sealents" of any type other than the tape) despite the entire yacht being immersed more than several times. The "primer" is not needed between tape and the Plexiglas but is between the tape and the ship's skin. Note, however, one only gets "one try" to position the "Plexiglas". If it isn't aligned properly to begin with, there'll be no adjusting it.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook