SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stern Anchoring Question
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Glassdad makes an excellent point - the main is the last choice of sail because it's really hard to depower when running off the wind. If you have to do this use the headsail which can be let fly when the boat needs to stop.

The whole process sounds a little dodgy to me but then I sail a 12t boat. I have serious confidence issues sailing my boat straight at a lee shore hoping that the bottom hasn't got stuff on it that prevents an anchor from setting. Rocks can rush up on you way faster than you think.

Find a way to turn the boat into the wind and remotely release the anchor which is hanging from the front. There are suggestions in earlier posts that should be considered (slip knots, etc). If you can get this consistently right there will be several sailors in the average anchorage that will watch you with envious eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook