SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interprotect Barrier Coat Questions
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road
Question Interprotect Barrier Coat Questions

Greetings,

I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel on my year-and-a-half long refit project, (CS27 ~ Ravat) and am finally barrier coating the hull. I'm going to use Interprotect 2000e, and complete that with VC-17 anti-fowling since that's what everyone else uses around here.

It's looking like temps will be in the low 60s here with pretty average humidity levels. My boat is a shoal draft CS27.

I know about using alternating colors, the correct foam rollers, thumb print curing check, and the boat's bottom is well prepped according to recommendations. I am assuming that I will need one roller and one brush per coat. That being said, here are my questions:

1. Are there any guidelines regarding how much I should mix at a time? Should I mix up the entire batch at once? Should I go half and half? Having never done this, I'm not sure how fast it will kick over or how fast it will apply.

2. Is it better to apply all the coats and then hit it with a quick sander to smooth things out, or to do some form of a roll and tip to keep it smooth as I go? Or am I just wasting time picking nits? I'm not planning to race (well, not SERIOUSLY anyway!). Just cruising. I do want the boat to look good though - after all this work I want it to look like it was done well.

3. At the tape line is it normal to just leave that area standing proud, or do people carefully hand sand it down? I'm guessing it's just left as-is, but hard to tell fromt he boats around me since they have a few layers of bottom paint over them by now obscuring it.

4. Did I miss anything? (Loaded question!)

Thanks in advance,
Chris
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook