SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got caught in a Squall today
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011

Aac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra
The amount of turbulence at 40 knots coming around the furled jib is enough to break the air off the surface of the sail.
I like that explanation. I’ve read a number of threads on reefed furled headsails and didn’t expect to experience a con I was unaware of. A deep reef on a furled headsail looks horrible and I guess they behave the way the look. A stay sail like imagine2frolic suggests is something I need to look into. The mast on my boat is way forward, unlike a cutter rig, with J=4.32m and E=5.9m; I think that I should still be able to fit a stay with a J of maybe 3m –must talk to a rigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG
I wonder if you can fall off a bit on your heading will eliminate the shudders
This may have helped but the feeling I had at the time was that I had too much sail up to fall off; my guesstimate was even with a second reef on the main and sheeted out there would have been way too much heel. Were it not for heaving to I would have then attempted to drop the main completely.

Probably also worth mentioning that I have spent a total of 193 days on the bay sailing and often 20 knots plus; today was different due in part to the behaviour of the rig.

What I'm trying to get at is how would a 100% jib that is not furled behave; my thought is that it would have been fine. I’ve read a lot on overlapping versus non-overlapping headsails and I am still lost as to what way to go. The current boat moves well to windward with a 135% overlapping head sail in anything under 15 knots of wind; above that though I find that the 135% is too much and the furler is used for reefing – a PITA.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook