SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living aboard near Norfolk, VA.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Smile Living aboard near Norfolk, VA.

Hello all. I am looking for some advice about living aboard in the areas in and around Norfolk, mainly concerning marina's friendly to liveaboards, things to look for when choosing a marina, dealing with weather, and any other pertinent advice one could give to a new liveaboard.

I consider myself a fledgling sailor, having learned by experience with a friend back in the '80's while in the Navy. Those were day trips on a Catalina 27 and occurred on not nearly enough saturdays to suit me. After a nearly 20 year period of dreaming (and not sailing) I purchased my first boat, an Endeavour 32, to sail on Kentucky lake. Spending many weekends overnight on the lake kicked my dreams into overdrive and although my financial situation dictated I sell my E32, I have now decided to pursue them.

My plan is to save in the next couple of years and purchase a blue water capable boat large enough for me to live aboard. I am looking at something 36' to 40' in length. I'll save the specifics of my boat requirements for a more appropriate forum but the boat I choose will most likely have a full keel so water depth will be an issue. I haven't yet decided on a specific place to berth the boat but the area in and around the Chesapeake appear to be a pretty good choice. Since I build bridges for a living, the availability of construction jobs will play a major role in my choices as will weather patterns. One of the reasons the Norfolk area looked to be a good choice was that it appeared to offer at least some protection from hurricanes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Take care all and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook