SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got caught in a Squall today
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
It's funny but I remember sailing Oh Joy from Seattle to Anacortes (at least, that was the intended destination) in what started out as 20-25 and worke it's way up to 45 before I notice the difference. When sailing offwind, wind increases can sneak up on ya. I had full main and 135 out until a wave turned us beam on and I couldn't get her turned back offwind. So I spun into the next wave, hopped the crest and then doused the Genny (furler), hoisted the staysail and put one reef in the main. I should've put two in so the weather helm wouldn't be so bad later.

By the time twilight hit and I diverted to Port Townsend, it was blowing 62 and gusting to 78. I didn't appreciate doing a beam reach in that at all, especially with a single reef in the main. Lots of crackin' and poppin' going on as I eased way out to keep her feet. Don't rightly know how that old mainsail survived this long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook