SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got caught in a Squall today
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Great thread, thank you all.
I2f, I know sudden changes can foretell squalls, but sometimes it's just local conditions. I was out on tuesday in LI Sound. Left the harbor in a warm moderate SSW. About a mile out I ran out of that breeze into a very light N, bringing with it cool damp air. It was a local sea breeze, fighting the ocean's sea breeze that blew across the island. I could see the line where the two met, a funny little noisy chop. Soon enough the real sea breeze came across fresh and warm from the island.
By the way, the worst squall I've sailed through was in a gaff yawl. I furled the jib and mizzen, scandalized the main (lowered the gaff). That led to some flogging, but the flexibility of the wooden spar mostly just let it bend. I don't know what the wind speed was, but an observer from shore said that my boat just disappeared in the spray and waves. I did have one break over the windward side, but it didn't get into the cockpit.
Funny how these old wood boats handle it when the piss is up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook