SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida Keys
Thread: Florida Keys
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
The true name of the key is Boca Grande Key, which is situated at the west end of the Lakes Passage. Some of the locals refer to it as Crawdad Key, not to be confused with Crayfish Key, because it's a fantastic place to dive for clawless lobster. My charts are on the boat, which is currently 90 miles from home awaiting repairs. The best I could come up with for coordinates was 82.00.38/24.31.59 This particular key actually has a lake in the middle of the key, which is very unusual. If your boat draws less than 4.5-feet, you can travel through the Lakes Passage from Key West to the anchorage area at Boca Grande (Crawdad) Key during high tide. Keep in mind, though that tidal changes in this area average less than 2 feet on a good day. Some days the change is just 6-inches. If the boat draws more than 4.5-feet, I would recommend sailing down the Atlantic side of the string of keys that encompass the Lakes Passage. Lots of water between the shore(s) and the inner segment of the reef. When you get to the end of Boca Grande Key turn right and head through Boca Grande Channel and you'll see the Lake's Passage exit day markers on your starboard side about 1/8-miles from the point. Most of the time there is more than enough water to get inside, and you will likely see some other boats anchored there. You can get a birds-eye view of the area by going to Cruiser's Net » Blog Archive » Florida Keys Take a look at the map hybrid and you'll clearly see the deep-water channel that forms the Lakes Passage. The entrance markers are situated about 4 miles west of Key West.

Good Luck,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 04-30-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook