SailNet Community - View Single Post - I just want to sail away..
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
I don't mind the work.. aside from it giving me something to do to keep my mind off the fact i'm in the ocean. It's good exercise.Plus, I don't plan to be underway all the time. I will likely find a nice secluded cove and chill for a few weeks. hen move on to the next.

I plan to take the courses 101 & 103 mainly because I believe in training and learning as much as I can before taking on a new task.

I understand that many areas require entry fees and docking fees. As for entry I will budget for those as I can. As for docking, it's a last resort I plan to almost always anchor out, and dinghy in.

Before even casting off the plan is to top the boat off with enough food and maybe enough water for three months. I figure that's about 6 or 7 hundred $$ And that's being generous. that plus extra fueling in the bahamas and maybe a few visits ashore should be around 1K..

This means if I can go every 3 months for a thousand dollars it would cost me 4k just to feed and fuel myself at seas. I would make sure I have a few thousand in the bank otherwise for any unforeseen repairs..

Maybe i'm missing something but I think that part is all pretty doable.

I think the hard parts will be Learning to sail, Saving the money, picking a good boat and dealing with the riggers of being at sea on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook