SailNet Community - View Single Post - I just want to sail away..
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 05-01-2011 Thread Starter
pistonbully

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
Well, you said you wanted a boat that was "fully outfitted" at $5,000. I don't think any of the above could be purchased and made ready - fully outfitted - for $5k. Those are the type of boats to which I thought you might be referring; These boats will take more than just effort to be ready for a 1-2 year voyage.

At any rate, my original post was not meant to argue purchase prices but to get you to think about the real costs of owning the boat over that time period. Speak to a boat broker and ask what would need to be done to those boats to make them ready and then add up the costs. Sails? Engine? Standing rigging? Running rigging? Electronics? What about structural work... rotten deck core, ugh, that was the killer in my search edging out engine replacement.
You are right, none of those boats are fully outfitted and ready to go but I can say they are a good start.Plus I just quickly pulled a few examples off craigs list. I know that the cost over time will prble be greater than the boat it's self.. But i suppose that just depends how much work yo want to put into it. plus, i refuse to believe that every single boat out there at this price range is going to be a P.O.S. I believe a lot of people are just broke and need the money. When I do buy a boat you can bet I will research the heck out of them and find the best one for me.

I know you were not trying to be arguementative, And I didn't mean to sound defensive. it jsut seems that alot of folks on and off line seem to think that I'm trying to buy a showboat or something.. I'm not.

And with what I've been hearing from everyone about my busget and my plan my two year is looking more like 1 year....
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome