SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Keel
Thread: Cal 21 Keel
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011

rippy is on a distinguished road
Hey Bonito, Nice job with the pics! But I think I need a few words to assist in my quest...IMG_4902.JPG is a pic of the keel in the trunk. Exactly what I needed. But I can't quite make out what the hardware is. It looks like there is a triangular piece of steel coming off the bottom of the keel(to the left). I have a feeling that is the keel hook that no longer is on my boat. Can you tell if it is original, or something added by someone? It looks like a lot of turbulence that would be hanging down when the keel is extended.
Also there is some kind of metal bracket forward of the triangle. What on earth is that for? Hate to be a bother, but would like to launch my Cal pretty soon, and I will probably do it with the bolt attached cable the first time, but I would like to restore the boat to original design. Thanks for your pics and thanks for any words you might offer.
One last comment, I think I have located where a pin would be located to lock the keel down while sailing but it looks like there is a permanent structure in there now. I can't imagine how it could be pulled out and reinserted. I wish one of the knowledgeable builders of these boats would come forward and offer drawings of Cal21 details.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook