SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
New boat and one that looks nice even if not very innovative. The new 39 from Cantieri del Prado, the Grand Soleil 39.

This boat is the first one from the Shipyard since Bavaria had taken control. I would expect a cut in price regarding previous Grand Soleil and that would be nice news, specially because this seems to be an interesting boat.

The boat is from the same "classical" family of Salona, Comet or Dehler, with a relatively small beam (3.7m) and a relatively high ballast/displacement ratio (36%). I say relatively high because this is probably a bulbed boat and that bulb in the standard version (with that ballast ratio) with be low on the water, cause the boat has a 2.4m draft. I am sure the boat will come with a smaller draft for cruising, but then will have even more ballast and a bigger ballast ratio.

Another boat that will excel in upwind performance and will have a very good overall performance. The transom seems also to be maximized for a good downwind performance

The previous 40 was already an interesting and fast boat. I am sure this will be faster but in my opinion the bigger progress is on the interior. While the previous model had a dark mahogany interior with a very small port hull, this one will have TWO BIG port hulls and a light modern interior. I like it

The old 40 had what Europeans call modern galley and that is one all along the saloon. I never liked that disposition and this one returns to the classic layout, and it seems a lot better to me.

Lets see what they will manage with the price. The new Dehler 41 (Hanse) is coming with a lower price than usual, so I really hope this one will cost also less than the previous 40. Let's see

Last edited by PCP; 05-01-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook