SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why so few new boats under 30ft?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
And the amount you saved was what you had left over after your monthly obligations- taxes, mortgage, utilities. So you saved, monthly, to buy your car. It was still determined by your monthly budget, you just reversed the order- you made the payments, to yourself, before you bought the car, rather than buying the car and making the payments to the bank after.
So you're not different, just more responsible.
Everything you say is true - and I do think in terms of putting my savings into a "virtual capital fund" for replacing the cars at a later date when they wear out.

But what is different is that I do not think of any of my purchases in terms of a "monthly payment." Car dealers are notorious for trying to negotiate car prices based on monthly payments, because there is so much latitude for playing games with the term of the loan to make the car look cheaper. I refuse to engage in that gimmickry - in fact, I won't even do trade-ins because that's another opportunity for them to screw you by complicating the issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook