SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice, article or procedure on painting bootstripe?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011

needabiggerboat is on a distinguished road
Advice, article or procedure on painting bootstripe?

I have a 30' C&C and I need to do the bottom and the bootstripe. Boat is fiberglass.

I did the bottom last year and am pretty comfortable with that, in fact I have already sanded.

The bootstripe is new to me. Looks like this, if you can visualize -

hull
3" wide blue band
1" wide white band
bottom

So I know I'm on the hook for a gallon of bottom paint, a quart of blue paint and a quart of white paint.

I am planning on sanding the blue area and the white area simultaneously this evening, but after that I'm unsure how to proceed.

1. Do I need to prime both the white and blue stripes, and if so, can I use the same primer?

2. My thought was, after priming, first tape off the hull and white stripe to paint the blue one, then after that dries tape off the blue stripe and the bottom and paint the white one, then after that dries tapes off the white stripe and do the bottom. Will that work?

Any advice, suggestions, or links to articles would be greatly appreciated - as you know it's a dirty, expensive job I only want to do once.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook