SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We bought a new plotter/GPS this winter, and while the provided mount would have 'worked', I wanted to be able to swivel the unit port and starboard depending on what side I was steering from, and that mount wouldn't accomodate that.

So I checked out various right-angle brackets available for BBQ mounts, down riggers etc and didn't find anything that would really work well and the prices were a bit much anyway for a compromise.

I knew I had some epoxy resin and cloth at home, so dug out an old shoebox, lined it with wax paper and layed up a bracket inside one end of the box. Added a gusset, glassed that in and then let it cure. Later trimmed it to fit the plotter bracket base, and mounted it all on the pedestal pod as you can see below... Total cost zero since I had the stuff 'left over'... but I suppose there's maybe $20 worth of resin and cloth in it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook