SailNet Community - View Single Post - No skid.
Thread: No skid.
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011

Tweegs is on a distinguished road
No skid.

So we’re in the water now and concentrating on getting the deck back in shape. The deck has been neglected for at least the past 10 years, lots of oxidation. We’ve resorted to wet sanding out the gelcoat because rubbing compound wasn’t cutting it. I mention this to give some idea of how much oxidation is on that no skid.

Our efforts on the rest of the deck are paying off, taking the gelcoat from a pasty, chalky, bleached white, to the original creamy, off white color, and it’s really starting to look good, which brings me to that no skid.

The boat is 30 years old, the diamond pattern on that no skid is worn, and we figured it could do with a fresh coat of no skid paint.

Surface prep for that paint is my main concern. How in the world am I going to get that oxidation removed enough to give the new paint a good bite?

I’m hesitant to use a chemical or acid that’s going to wash over the side and eat the wax off the hull, but if that’s the only option….

Was hoping someone had a better idea, something more than my feeble mind can conjure.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook