View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC2012 View Post
Do not chopper gun used in 66.marc
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think the chopper gun came into use until the early 70's or very late 60's. My Coronado is a '69 and it's cloth. Columbia bought Coronado soon after.

There is a very active Columbia forum on Yahoo, you can get a lot of answers there. They're pretty friendly.

Those boats were so solidly built, that the termites could probably eat all of the wood with a minimal loss of structural integrity (tounge in cheek)

And for $1700.00? It's probably a safe bet. Crawl around like you say, maybe print out a copy of SailingDog's boat buying checklist. Check the thru-hulls and seacocks. Are they the original gate valves or have they been replaced?

Oh- regarding the standing rigging. Obviously you should check it all, but the top fittings/swages are usually in better shape than the bottom ones because water runs downhill and collects on the lower ones.
When I unstepped my mast this winter, the tops were shiny and new looking while the lower swages weren't quite as nice.

Were the chainplates on these 'glassed into the knees or are they accessible? Something else worth checking.

Good luck!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook