SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice needed
Thread: Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Advice needed

Okay, I've been doing a lot of thinking about possible small cruises I'd like to make in the future. Right now I'm just daydreaming, since I don't even have a sailboat yet. I don't intend to end this summer without one, though.

I will be getting a trailer sailer/pocket cruiser, since I don't live near any good cruising water.

One of the cruises I'd LOVE to make - actually been dreaming about this cruise for years - is Key West to Dry Tortugas.

Moving on to my actual question...I realize that my question is pretty vague and over-simplified, but what what I'm looking for is an off-the-hip answer, hopefully from someone with first hand knowledge of the area.

Here goes: Is doing the sail from Key West to Dry Tortugas tantamount to suicide, or is it a pretty safe venture?

I suppose my question gives away my ignorance of the area, but I don't mind. I've always been the sort to say "I don't know" when I don't know something.

In my defense, I've studied the charts of the cruise route, I've read blogs and watched Youtube videos of the cruise. Seems to me that, making consideration for the season to rule out the worst weather, it should be a safe, fun sail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Peace,

6P