SailNet Community - View Single Post - can sailing guarantee my safety?
View Single Post
post #11 of Old 05-04-2011
genieskip

Quote:
Originally Posted by package81 View Post
Once again, I realize that all hobbies come with safety hazards. But is it possible to almost gaurantee that I will never be killed or capsized by a terrible storm?
In one word - No.

I have raced across the Atlantic three times and each time we hit rough weather patches, though nothing like a full blown hurricane. How safe are you crossing the street? It is impossible to give guarantees, as everyone has stated before me. If you build up a high skill level, have a sound boat and a good crew and pick your route and time of year carefully, it can be a fantastic experience that you will treasure for the rest of your life.

Start small and build up. Learn to sail and as you push your personal envelope you will have a much better idea of how far you want to go. If you are starting from scratch you are still years away from being ready to undertake that kind of a voyage. No one can guarantee your safety for day at the beach (especially if you are driving there!) let alone on an ocean crossing. Frankly I feel a good deal safer in the ocean on a good, well crewed boat than on the Long Island Expressway.

genieskip
Northeast
J40
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome