SailNet Community - View Single Post - can sailing guarantee my safety?
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 05-04-2011
casey1999

Maybe the question one should ask themselves is:
If I died while sailing, would it have been worth it. If the question is "NO", then I would pick another hobby that is either safer or "IS" worth it.

Another thing to think about even some of the most experienced sailors in the world with the best equipment and training have died sailing. The other thing when things start to go wrong, you cannot pull over, stop and get help like in a car. If you are on an ocean passage, you could be hundreds of miles from help. And even if help were to arrive, that could only be the begining of a long rescue.

The key is to manage the risk through equipment, training, experience, and weather and sea knowledge. But in the end, bad things can still happen, and when they do, it is a much more difficult situation than if you were on dry land.

Go to You Tube and seach "Hell on High Water the Sydney Hobart 1998 race" this is a 5 part series that is great live footage of recuing sailors in 80 knot winds and 60 plus foot waves. there were many deaths during this race. YouTube - Critical Situation Hell on High Water Part 1 This is part 1, do a search for parts 2-5.

Last edited by casey1999; 05-04-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome