SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice needed
Thread: Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Getting to the Dry Tortugas will be a pleasant downwind sail and there are plenty of anchorages once you are there. It would be a good place to explore for a couple of weeks.

But and it is a big but getting back to Key West will be a 70 mile beat into the wind unless you are very very lucky. I would not want to have to do it on a fixed schedule even on a biggish boat.

A Catalina 22 could make the trip esp. if you waited for a good weather window for the return but you could be waiting for weeks.
Thanks for chiming in.

Hmm. Well, I suppose when I do it, time is one thing I will have...

But yeah, you're totally right. Just looked at some wind charts for the area and "very very lucky" does indeed seem to hit the nail on the head.

Looking at it like that, it's still something that I want to do. Taking the prevailing winds into consideration - if you were going to make the trip, how do you think it would be leaving from Marco Island instead of Key West? Granted it's a longer distance, but it seems that one would be on a reach the whole way there and back. Maybe not as pleasant/relaxing as drifting along downwind - more like sailing, that is (hehe) but it seems to me that one could come far closer to a predictable (if not fixed) schedule doing the trip that way. Any thoughts?