SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Columbia 29 MKII
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
1966 Columbia 29 MK II cont.

Okay... Well...I decided I am up for another project...after looking at the boat again today....I decided I am up for the challenge. I will post pics soon..forgot the camera this morning but will be back out to her on Friday. Will take alot of pics as I can post.of as much as I can...and try to photo-document her restoration or at least a complete snapshot of her condition 45 years after her original build date in order to get more info about what happens to a boat of this vintage and build quality over the years.

I think the Columbia 29 MK II has been overlooked by some...the Defender 29 had the same hull but the flush-deck left something to be desired aesthetically but was probably a better sailor and bluewater boat. There are other boats who have also slipped through the cracks. I think one reason this one did is due to the problems with some of the later Columbia's and due to the BIG-box reputation that Columbia had much like Hunter has endured now since Columbia passed the torch to them in the late 70's/early 80's

I have heard the similar-constructed Alberg 30's had problems with their laminated compression posts...the similar one on my boat looks good. I also heard that Alberg 30's often had iron keels..that is also not an issue with this boat..It is 4,200 lb lead keel and a overall disp. of 8,400 lbs. I expect to have a major project here that will consume several years to get her right...I will be doing most of not all the work myself ...

I know there is alot of work to do and expenses ahead but I have learned alot in forums like this from folks much more experienced in all phases of sailboats. I hope to learn more and at least improve the condition of this boat alot while I own it and ...like the Hippocratic Oath... at very least..."do no harm"....to a boat that I think Sparkman and Stephen's must have been proud of....Okay..termites be warned.!!!...I am soon heading to the aisle section of Walmart to buy some termite bombs...just to be sure...wish the lovebugs would skedaddle as well..they are simply thick down here in SW FLorida this year...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook