SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida to Chesapeake late fall
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Florida to Chesapeake late fall

Planning to depart north west Florida as the end of hurricane season approaches sometime between Septemeber and December and head south to the keys and hopefully Bahamas for a couple of weeks. That is the fun part.

Next leg of the trip is to get me and our Catalina 310 to the Chesapeake. I know this is getting to be a bad time of year to head north but it is what it is.

The one thing I have going for me is time. When I leave north west Florida I will be joyously unemployed and will have until January before I need to be anywhere in Maryland (I plan to be there before then but you all get my point).

So, to my reason for this post:
1) I would appreciate any thoughts from folks that have made this run between Florida and Maryland both inside and outside to Norfolk or there abouts and particularly any thoughts pertaining to making the run this time of year. I know there is a ton of good info about this route both directions so I am looking for thooughts specific to going "against the grain" as most folks typically head south in November/December.

2) I am looking at piney Narrows Yacht Haven in Chester Maryland as our new home base and would welcome any information from folks with first hand experience as either owning a slip there or renting from them.

Background is that I am comfortable sailing in moderate conditions. I live aboard the boat in Florida and sail mostly single handed. I by no means over estimate my own abilities and tend to be cautious, particularly regarding weather. I will have two to three, mostly inexperienced, crew for the trip north and will not go outside over night unless the weather looks very good. I have only been sailing a few years but have lived a couple decades in Florida and have been boating most of those years. I do appreciate the gulf stream and understand and appreciate the hazard of a northerly wind blowing counter to it, not my idea of a good weather window and again I have time to hunker down and wait.

Happy sailing and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook