SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan 37 Glassed over CB
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
I guess I'll chime in as well....Dan, I believed you also posted on the Tartan 37 website??
What I said there also echoes what Solare is saying here. I've had our T-37 for 16 years now and I can tell you, we only use our board about 5% of the time, even going to weather. Sure, the board helps out pointing, but unless you are really trying to tack through 80-85 degrees, you don't need it. Without the board we tack throu 90-95 degrees, no problem...even closer if it's blowing above ten knots. The fixed part of the keel is fairly long, about 8ft or so at the bottom, and leeway is not that noticable either and I don't think the board significantly improves leeway. This boat has a 48% ballast/displacement ratio so she's quite stable....check out the other specs and you'll see she's quite respectable.
All that said, I wouldn't hesitate buying the boat but just make sure it is priced accordingly, maybe 10K less than others of the same vintage and degree of repair?
I am guessing it is hull #2 that you are buying? This is(was)the yacht "Tigger"(later renamed), which circumnavigated and lost it's board in the Pacific and they glassed over the slot. Must not have been too bad if they continued on with their circumnavigation.
Hope this helps,
Tom

Last edited by ehmanta; 06-02-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook