SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at a Columbia 29 MKII
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
I bought the boat...there is some termite damage but it seems mostly to have been confined to the place with the most wood...the galley cabinetry. There is some water damage to the forward bulkhead shoulders where the chain plates bolt onto the bulkhead. I know this is very serious but it may allow me to do some mods that might improve the spaciousness of the forward vee berth entrance.(spin). The boat is 45 years old and 1700 bucks....and there is alot of stuff that is good...crispy mainsail..thick teak toe rails are solid and good..so are the teak coaming boards amazingly...original teak cockpit lockers are solid and well varnished. Not much water in the bilge..rainwater no doubt as there are no companionway dropboards it seems. Forward hatch is original and mostly intact. Companionway hatch is okay. New large salon window glass (those big windows kinda bother me..I liked the earlier 29's style better...probably have to get the seals for these windows if they are still available in Columbia Yachts forum...as I hear the new windows leak some....

There is a very robust tubular aluminum motor bracket/mount on the transom that allows for two mahogany swim platforms..one to either side of where the motor sits...someone spent some $$ on that project. The forestay turnbuckle looks about shot but the swaged end of the wire and the wire rope itself seem okay. I have a good heavy ss turnbuckle that should be just right handy and that will be an early fix. The rest of the rigging/swages seem okay. It's going to be quite a ride...but at least I have a live-aboard with some head room finally..I been living on my Seaferer 24 for almost 2 months and it wasn't working for me as you might expect...The motion comfort number is good for this boat so it should at least be good to sleep on and not rock and roll as much as some of these boats in the field....2 tons of lead down low....she might not rock much but she'll roll...and initially very well I imagine . Anyways...I'll try to post some pics when I get back online ...and we'll let the drama unfold some more then I am sure... no internet for awhile except the public library....

Last edited by souljour2000; 05-06-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook