SailNet Community - View Single Post - Project Boat...
Thread: Project Boat...
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I know Soverels reasonably well. I assume this is the 28 foot Soverel that was a 1960's era MORC racer-cruiser. (There was a later limited production Mark Soverel design but I doubt this is one of them.) The MORC rule of that era produced some of the nicest dual purpose boats. For that era, boats like these were reasonably fast, sailed well upwind and down, and had a decent motion. These boats were simply and reasonably well constructed and if you don't get carried away trying to update the boat too much, they should be inexpensive to own and maintain.

Of course these are nearly 50 year old boats, and if not well maintained and replaced, almost all of the original systems would be long past thier normal lifespans. But there are likely to be many deferred maintenance and deteriorated items. Long term maintenance items like replacing the centerboard bushings and cables can be a real pain in the butt job. The original rudder may be shot. I think Soverels had plywood deck cores and of course these could be completely delaminated and rotted as well, and so on.

My best advise is if you personally are not extremely knowledgeable, spend a little time and money and have the boat surveyed so that you can more accurately appraise how much work the boat needs. The survey on a small simple boat should not cost a whole lot but it will produce at least a partial list of safety items and repairs which need to be performed.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-06-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook