SailNet Community - View Single Post - can sailing guarantee my safety?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road
To the OP i would , first go sailing, then see what questions you ask. You dont have to ever go near an ocean until you feel ready. I would actually say ocean crossing is easier and less nerve racking then coastal sailing.

To people you say lying ahull or even hove to is a way to see out survival storms, I say nonsense, very few boats can keep their occupants safe without active management and this is especially true of modern fin keelers. Im always suprised that often is husband and wife crews that seem convinced they can handle survival storms that way , it seems a mental crutch.

on a roll over, you will be dammed luckly to emerge with the rig attached, irrepective of the "preparation", virtually nothing built is so capable. Equally loosing a deck hatch etc can be terminal. Hence at all costs the boat must be managed to prevent knockdowns and rolls.

People who point to boats that have survived storms intact , with the crew lifted off even with deck striped of gear etc or make the " bottle in a storm" analogy simply havent experienced the inside of a boat in such conditions. Its almost impossible to prevent injury and the movement of the boat and especially a dismasted boat is so violent that sometimes it is impossible to inhabit. ( this is from a first hand account of a fastnet survivor to me)

Very few sailors meet survival storms , especially now with modern technolgies and the inbuilt caution that most normal recreational sailors have. WHen they do, its requires reseves of skill and experience and not really a check list approach.

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook