SailNet Community - View Single Post - can sailing guarantee my safety?
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
People who point to boats that have survived storms intact , with the crew lifted off even with deck striped of gear etc or make the " bottle in a storm" analogy simply havent experienced the inside of a boat in such conditions. Its almost impossible to prevent injury and the movement of the boat and especially a dismasted boat is so violent that sometimes it is impossible to inhabit. ( this is from a first hand account of a fastnet survivor to me)
Dave
This is a good point. I am NOT disagree with you.

If the boat survive without human intervention during the storm, then the occupant can survive there too providing he or she securing themselves properly inside the boat below deck. Perhaps wearing helmet and body protecting armor like those used by the motorcyclists.

BTW, I thought about bringing my Helmet on board when sailing solo. I wear helmet for snow boarding or motorcycling, it seems logical to wear one in sailing. But I have never seen or heard anyone doing it. I bumped my head head hard many times when below deck.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook