SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice wanted: Freedom 30 and Hunter 30
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011

yjchun is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your input. This will be an investment in my life time and happy to read your opinions.

When I first found Island packet 27, she looked beautiful and could dream of going everywhere anytime with her. Couldn't stop looking up articles about the boat. But it was a little expensive, almost top of my budget, and its small size, small water tank and old engine concerned me.

Then Freedom 30. A lot cheaper than IP27, 30ft, uniqueness, seaworthiness seemed just good. Just a little old. I worried, boats older than 20 years, everything will start to take apart, spending more time in shipyard. Some people enjoy fixing and taking care of the boats, I could learn a lot doing that, but I prefer sailing and going somewhere. Then started to look for newer boats.

And found hunter 30, new and very clean. Looked very comfortable living in it. But I started to think, with this money, and just a little more, I would buy IP27 and 3 ft difference isn't much with hunter having 1 or 1.5ft transom.
Now I mind is moving back to IP 27. I'm repeating this process nedlessly.

It might be better to check the boats first before thinking too much but one is in okinawa, another in osaka, it will be best if I could pick the first one I check, saving traveling cost. Actually, getting impatient to go and see them all already.

Yorksailor and TQA: Thanks for the input, I too am tempted for IP27 if not costwise. and a little bit against freedom for its age. Not sure about real status of the boats though until I see them.
bobperry: nice korean. thanks. I didn't expect freedom be faster than hunter. Just heard freedom's upwind performance is not great. I'll put +1 to freedom in performance measure.

Chun.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook