SailNet Community - View Single Post - small craft advisory
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456Wannasail654321 View Post
well in the video I suppose these were racing. I was under the impression that spinnakers were meant for light air.

now with he winds that high I think I would be reefed (prob 2 reefs) or maybe jib alone.
Some boat owners will have more than one spin, ie one for up to 25knots, and another that might be 1-20% smaller, and 1.5-20 oz cloth instead of .6-.75 cloth just for days as shown in the vid. No different than some of them rigs have 3-4 head sails, ranging from a 155 down to a storm jib, with a 150 heavier than the 155 light, something around 125-130, 110 .85 storm hib, with some jib sizing in more than one cloth wt for different wind strengths, along with on BIGGER racers, say a V70, they imght have two jibs with the same sail area, but one is a longer luff shorter LP, the other a shorter luff, longer LP. One will use on in taller waves, the other in shorter waves, with the same win speed.

As far as SC goes, IIRC here in the NW it is winds about 22 to 35 knots, either steady or gusts.

I sometimes think it would be better to use the Beaufort scale, which is force 1-10+, with certain wind ranges with in the force ratings frankly.

marty