SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing in the Potomac River
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I live in Vienna and work in Alexandria, so I understand the area. I've been sailing for ~ 28 years.

I kept a small cat at Gunston Cove for a few years. I sailed a 27' cat out of Aquia Creek a few times. Yes, it's close to home, but the cruising is quite limited and the air is quite cut up and gusty if from the east of west, typical of river sailing. Thus, you either reach back and forth, or work up and down wind, which can be very slow work if the current is set against you. Yes, there is a lot of motoring if you really want to get somewhere. Additionally, there are few places to visit or explore. On the other hand, I have fond memories.

Sure, living in Woodbridge I would certainly keep the boat there for a season or 2, it's worth it, but then you'll move to Deale, I hope. The trip to Deale would be fun anyway.

My blog (below) has a number of travel posts about the Bay and near Deale. Perhaps you will find it interesting.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook