SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crew, Captain and Owner Feedback
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
I benefited from day sailing and racing crew lists before I had a boat and therefore support them as a skipper. Having said that, it seems that the number of really good crew list experiences I've had as a skipper are about equal to the really disappointing ones. Most recently, a lady responded to a mid Winter invitation with such enthusiasm that it pushed me out of bed with a cold to prepare the boat on the morning of the sail. I couldn't imagine disappointing her by canceling.
We had communicated several times via e and v mail, and each time, she expressed her excitement, including the night before the outing. I asked if she would like to bring a guest. She responded that she would be by herself.
She didn't show or call, and when I called her, her voice mail box was full. I sat there at the dock with a runny nose and sore throat, feeling like an idiot for getting out of bed! I was also concerned, as I thought, given her enthusiasm, surely something bad had happened to her on the way to the Marina. Two months later, she responds to a crew list racing invitation, apologizing for the no call/no show (yet offering no explanation), and showing the same enthusiasm for participating in the race! Fat chance, Fool me once....!
While this is probably the oddest breach of edicate, I've had several similar experiences to this, and I'm reconsidering offering rides. After all, I'm offering a day of sailing on the SF Bay, and all I ask is that you show up, or contact me in advance if you can't make it. This often seems too much to ask. I simply have to ask....why? Call me naive, but I had no idea that this many people are so self centered and inconsiderate!

Last edited by L124C; 05-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook