SailNet Community - View Single Post - Painting an aluminum spar
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
I sprayed it But I have the stuff and know how to drive it and had a room with a explosion proof fume hood

I am roll & tipping the cal 29 hull As it's just To big to spray safely in my driveway Even with the tent

I went with perfection because of the yellow Vin-wash as the Awlgrip version of it requires putting on some otherstuff and then washing it down with a hose which was out of the question in the indoor place I was painting in

I am using Awlgrip on the Cal 29 hull due It being made in the color we want

I striped it really careful and then did a light sanding with my random orbit sander to skuff it up good

The Perfection and Awlgrip are and equal PITA to apply correctly

Both the paints are and equal PITA to put on right

There is no sanding between the yellow and the primer but the primer has to be wet sanded a bit as will the coats of the paint after they dry 24 hours

It will take two or three coats of color

When you here prices of 100 dollars a foot to paint a mast there NOT over charging as it's a lot of hours to do a good job

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 05-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook