SailNet Community - View Single Post - sloop rig vs cutter???
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011

nolasailor is on a distinguished road
sloop rig vs cutter???

Ok, i have read till my eyes are crossed and it seems like alot of different views.....
I have a niagara 31 wich is a sloop. I have the harken sail track(tuff luff) which makes it a pain to hoist and lower sails with small to no crew. I have several smaller jibs that are hank ons, and what i would like to to do is add a jib stay so i can use the smaller hank sails and be able to unhook from the deck when i fly the larger luff sails... My sail inventory is 90, 135 and a 155 for the luff system, but i have a a few smaller sails that are hank on. 90% of sailing will be inland sailing, but am planning on makeing a trip across the gulf of mexico next summer.

so question 1. what conditions if any would my make shift cutter rig be adventagous useing two head sails, one on luff and one hank on type. pointing high up wind,, broad????

question 2..
I have not started the project, so i can mount the deck plate anywhere... I have 12 ft 6 inches between front stay and mast.. I know the channel between the two sails is important, but how far apart should they be and should the front stay and jib stay run parrlel,, same distance all the way up to the mast,,,, i looked at cutter rigs in the marina and they seem to have the two stays about 16 to 18 inches a part,, I was think about going up to 24. thanks for any and all input,,,, Kevin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook